Episode 52: Meditation 101: Get Zen With Us
Become mindful is a huge part of this whole living your truth and daring to change thing. But what does that really mean? We define mindfulness as conscious living aka bringing our awareness to the present moment as often as possible.
The best way to kickstart your own mindfulness regimen is to start inside. There’s really only one way to do this… it takes getting quiet, sitting your butt down, and trying to meditate.
Meditate. Yes, we said it.
Listen, we know that it’s scary. We know how hard it can be to quiet the mental chatter. We know how intimidating it is. We know that there are so many other, important things you have to do everyday. And, we know how ridiculous it sounds to just sit with your eyes closed for extended periods of time…
But, we also know how profoundly healing it is. We know that is has transformed our lives. We know that it does fantastic things like increases our patience, improves our creativity, and massively decreases our stress levels. And, we know that it is (probably) the key ingredient missing from your wellness routine.
We’re so certain about this that we’ve decided enough is enough, it’s time to de-mystify meditation once and for all.
This week, we’re getting our ohm-on, but it’s not exactly in the way you may think. We’re breaking down meditation in order to make it accessible, exciting, and not just something you feel like you need to ‘check off of your list’. When the to-do list to become mindful feels more like homework and less like joy, we know it’s time to re-evaluate our process.
We hope that this episode is the kick in the rear you need to finally start adopting a meditation practice of your own, so that you too can experience the profound magic that comes along with this practice.
Yes, it really is magical. Like Harry-Potter-wave-your-wand-fly-on-your-broomstick MAGICAL.
You deserve to feel your best. You deserve to have a relationship with your intuition. You deserve less stress. You deserve to love the crap out of yourself.
Meditation will take you there.
Mentioned in this Episode:
- Meditation is the unicorn of the wellness world
- There are many different ways to “successfully” meditate, aka you don’t have to sit in silence for hours
- Carly’s definition of meditation: the practice of reconnecting to your consciousness & awareness by quieting your active mind. It brings you back to your truth and who you really are.
- Allie’s definition of meditation: the practice of consciously choosing to disconnect from the thinking mind, and reconnect through rest & reflection.
- Meditation has helped us reduce stress, gain clarity on hard issues, make us realize that things aren’t that big of a deal, view problems from a wider perspective, and handle hard issues in a more calm and mature way.
- Difficult Conversations Podcast – Listen here!
- Journaling right after meditation is when the true magic happens! We recommend having a pen and paper ready to go when you open your eyes and come back to consciousness.
Tips to start your own practice:
- Release the stereotype! There is no “right” or “wrong” way to meditate, every second counts! Whether you are completely zen or have a million thoughts racing around, you are still meditating.
- Meditate with music! Make a badass playlist and jam out during your zen time. Pppsst, Spotify is great for this!
- Try using a mantra.
- Create a space in your home where you will not be interrupted.
- Find balance between effort and ease.
Our favorite FREE meditation aids:
Connect With Us (#TAD):
Episode 54: The FINAL Alfie Diaries.... yes, it's True! Carly here to tell you that today's episode is as raw and real as it gets. Life takes us on all kinds of journeys. My most recent journey lead me onto a sailboat, with Allie and our husbands, to the southern end...
Pick up the Pen Girlfriend, Let's Journal We know, we know. We sound like a broken tape recorder..... do this self-care practice, get quiet, take time to reflect, carve out time to take care of you, and yet here we are, dropping another podcast on this same topic....
Episode 51: The Alfie Diaries: Sinking, Plunging, and Smooth Sailing Welcome to the Alfie Diaries part 2, coming to you live from the island of Grenada. This past month has been filled with joy, laughter, fear, and frustration and there's no better way to cue you in...
Episode 50: Spring Equinox: How to Cultivate Balance this Season Have you been feeling a little restless? Like you know what you should be doing but you aren't doing it? Or maybe you're on the cusp of something truly great/inspiring/transformative but you just can't...
Try some other hashtag or username